The Denby Institute and Recreational Ground on Derby Road is a registered charity. It is administered by a small group of trustees.
The Institute itself has evolved over the years. It was originally a Miner's Welfare and dates back to the 1930's, with various pockets of land granted and given over the years. The current charity was formed in 1974. The Institute in its current form is run by a number of hard working volunteers .